The allotment has been looking after itself a bit this month, with less watering needed, thanks to the frequent showers and the lovely moisture retaining soil (unlike the horrible dust at home).
The harvests are coming in thick and fast. Mountains of blackcurrants, a sudden rush of early courgettes, dozens of beetroots, piles of French beans and bunches of sweet peas with the delicious scent of summer.
I've brought in the onions and the last of the garlic and there's a lot of weeding to be done. Then there will be space for the next things. I do need to put some serious hours in though. I've been spending more time at home writing lately, and of course it shows. The weeds are galloping about the place with gay abandon.
One of the things I didn't plant is this poppy.
It's appeared out of nowhere amongst the borlotti beans. I'm quite blown away by how such a pretty thing can just pop up. I shall leave it to seed and see if there are more next year.
I've often said that the plot isn't immaculate, but despite the limited time I put in, it's still amazingly productive and a very good place to be, especially right now in the height of summer. However weedy it may be, there's always something to bring home, and that makes it all worthwhile.
0 Yorumlar